Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Yawning is not the best HR strategy!

When someone yawns in front of me, I for a fraction of seconds feel like my life is a painful burden with no objective whatsoever and everything I do would eventually lead to boredom and inactivity and therefore death. My thinking rate slows down. Everything around me starts happening in slow motion.

When Agnes told me she was going for an interview, I was very worried about something. "Please don't yawn or sit with you arms crossed at any point of the interview, no matter how sleepy you just might feel. "

During MBA, we would often spot Agnes yawning with arms crossed in a very disturbing fashion. Oblivious to those who watched she would actively engage herself with this daring act of stretching her every muscle in and around her mouth with minimum or no effort to constrain herself to match the social setting she would phisically be in completely disregarding anything that goes on in her background.

Sometimes she would yawn while I was talking to her. She wouldnt even wait for me to complete the sentence, however relevant they might be. I think it was also her feedback mechanism.

Now she is an HR manager of a prospering company. I am very worried. Yawning catches up and spread very fast. Think what would happen to a company where the HR manager is always yawning. It would not exactly be very motivating.

An HR manager should never yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment