Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I prayed to an ordinary owl- tricked by my own mind

According to the legent there lived a sorcerer named Sita in the Indo-China border. She granted wishes and owls were her medium of sending and recieving messages.

As I read about this in a book titles "Oriental Magic" I let out a quick prayer to her. Then I forgot about it.

Then it happened.

In the darkness of the night view of my balcony, an owl flew in and sat right on the bark in front of me. It was an hair raising experience. I let out another prayer and directed it towards the owl.

It could not have been a co-incidence. In three years of chennai I has seen an owl for the first time and that also just after reading the book. It was too perfect to discard. The probability would only conclude to something spooky.

Then I thought some more. The probability of seeing an owl that day after reading the book was very less. I read about many other things in that book. So the probability of any one of those many things happening would be higher. I read many books. The probability of a thing happening after I have read it atleast once out of many books I have read is even higher. Infact the probability of it not happening is negligible when I take time as infinity.

I dont blame the owl. I was tricked by my own shallow approach towards laws of probability.

No comments:

Post a Comment